Carp Bream (Abramis brama)
From The Aquarium Wiki
1 - 1.010
7.0 - 7.5
- Carp Bream, Common Bream, Bronze Bream
Additional scientific names
- Abramis argyreus, Abramis brama bergi, Abramis brama danubii, Abramis brama orientalis, Abramis brama sinegorensis, Abramis gehini, Abramis media, Abramis melaenus, Abramis microlepidotus, Abramis vetula, Abramis vulgaris, Cyprinus brama
- Found throughout Europe and Asia, primarily found in most European drainages from Adour (France) to Pechora (White Sea basin); Aegean Sea basin, in Lake Volvi and Struma and Maritza drainages.
- Similar to Goldfish in that mature males will develop white pimples on their gill plates and vents will be visible during spawning season.
- Public aquaria only. These are temperate fish that need to be in large shoals, and seeing as they are so large, need exceptionally large tanks or a pond. Or are best left in the wild, this is a game fish and can be eaten.
- Bottom feeders, will sift through substrate looking for small crustaceans. Will also eat aquatic plants and plankton.
- Twice a day.
- Inhabits slow-moving freshwater rivers, and sometimes brackish estuaries, lives in shoals near the bottom, constantly looking for food on the river bed.
- A large shoaling peaceful fish.
- Slender laterally flattened high-backed body, coloured silver when young, sometimes matures to a rich bronze colour. Can be mistaken for Blicca bjoerkna (Silver Bream) when young.
- Fishbase Distribution
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )