Rainbow Parrotfish (Scarus guacamaia)
From The Aquarium Wiki
1.020 - 1.025
8.0 - 8.2
- Found in the Western Atlantic, around Bermuda, Florida, the Bahamas and Argentina.
- These fish are able to change sex, females are able to become males when not enough males are present.
- This fish is classified as Vulnerable (VU) on ICUN's Red List, it is therefore unlikely to be found available to the pet trade. If it was found, it needs a very large tank and is generally peaceful towards tankmates.
- Feeds mainly on algae, specifically benthic algae which it scrapes off rocks with it's beak-like mouth.
- Will constantly graze algae.
- This is a large fish and needs a very large tank to accommodate it and with plenty of algae growth to graze on. It also needs caves provided for it as it can be shy.
- An active grazing fish, constantly moving to find new sites on which to feed.
- Fins are a muted orange in colour with streaks of green running through them and edged with blue. The body oval shaped and is mottled green, blue, brown and muted orange. The dental plates around the mouth are green. No colour difference between sexes.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )