Threadfin Cichlid (Acarichthys heckelii)
From The Aquarium Wiki
151 Litres (40 US G.)
11.4-12.7cm (4.5-5 ")
7.0 - 7.2
22 -25 °C (71.6-77°F)
- Thread-Finned Cichlid, Threadfin Cichlid, Elusive Cichlid, Heckle's Acara, Thread-Finned Acara, Thread-Finned Eartheater
Additional scientific names
- Acara heckelii, Acara subocularis, Acarichthys heckeli, Acarichthys heckelli, Geophagus thayeri
- Found along mainstream Amazon River in Peru, Colombia, and Brazil, including lower parts of the Putumayo, Trombetas, Negro, and Xingu rivers; lower Tocantins and Capim rivers; Branco River (Amazonas basin) in Brazil and Guyana, and the Essequibo River in Guyana.
- Males have longer finnage and are more vibrant in colour.
- This fish can be aggressive and is quite territorial so should either be in a species tank in male/female pairs or with similar sized robust fish.
- Will accept most foods including Cichlid pellets and flake as well as live/frozen food such as bloodworm and shrimp.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Must have a soft substrate as this fish will dig, and therefore any décor needs to be secure so it can't fall and injure the fish.
- A territorial Cichlid.
- An attractive Cichlid with an oval body shape and lateral compression. It has a pointed snout, rounded caudal fin and pointed dorsal and anal fins. The dorsal, caudal and anal fins has extended rays, more evident in males, giving it their common name. It is pale in colour with iridescent scales in blue, red and silver, they have a darker spot into the middle of their flanks on either side.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: ) Distribution
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )